SPCA Wake COVID-19 Updates
May 8, 2020 (updated at 1:30 pm EST)
As North Carolina begins to reopen with Phase 1 starting today, we’ll begin to transition into offering SPCA services in a slightly less restricted way.
We will be open publicly by appointment only starting Monday, May 11th. In the weeks ahead, we’ll be slowly ramping up services. But for now, volunteer shifts remain canceled through at least May 18. But we are surveying our needs week-by-week.
In order to discourage community members from leaving their homes unnecessarily, walk-in adoptions are still suspended. Our Adoption Team will continue to accept adoption surveys, and speak (via phone) to potential adopters. Pets can still be placed on hold and adoptions by appointment will be scheduled throughout the weeks ahead.
Over the past few of months, SPCA Wake has been busy adjusting to the needs of our community.
Here’s just a quick taste of what we’ve been working on:
- Providing excellent care for all of our pets
- Coordinating foster care and training foster volunteers remotely on how to bottle-feed kittens and puppies
- Planning Spay/Neuter surgeries for SPCA pets next week
- Completing heartworm treatments for dogs in our Foster-to-Adopt program and finalizing those adoptions
- Arranging additional adoptions for when we re-open
- Deep cleaning and doing maintenance at both buildings- including HVAC replacement in our dog adoption wing!
- Donating PPE to a local hospital
- Partnering with Meals on Wheels and the Food Bank to deliver pet food and supplies to families in need… in addition to continuing to serve our AniMeals recipients!
- Offering youth education programs such as “No More Bullying” virtually
- Strengthening our “Helpline” so that we can better respond to our community’s questions and assess needs
- Planning for the future across all departments so that when we re-open to the public, we’ll be even more productive, efficient, and safe!
Please know that our staff team stands ready to provide the top-level care the pets in our shelter receive on a daily basis.
This spring the SPCA had to make the hard decision to reroute two large fundraising events. One of which typically raises over $250,000 for the pets and people in our community. The financial loss of these events is a serious blow to our programs and services, which is why now more than ever, our community’s support is needed. We are so grateful for your support. As SPCA Wake continues to be here for the animals, we need your help.
COVID-19 FOSTER UPDATE
We have seen an outpouring of offers for fostering pets. THANK YOU! At this point, we do not currently need additional short-term fosters during the COVID-19 outbreak. We’re doing by-appointment adoptions so most pets will remain at the SPCA until adopted. If you would like to foster beyond the next few weeks, please complete the application on our foster page. Please check back for updates in case anything changes.
Please keep posted here to stay on top of all SPCA Wake COVID-19 updates, and thank you for your understanding and support while we work to ensure the health and well-being of our staff, volunteers, the public – and the pets in our care.