Things to Consider
Things to Consider When Adopting
- Why do I/we want a pet?
- Is our home suited for the kind of pet we want?
- Is the kind of pet we’re considering allowed where we live?
- What would the plan be for our pet if we moved?
- Are we prepared to make a lifetime commitment (15 – 20 years) to a pet?
- Can we afford to care for your pet’s health and safety? (Estimated expenses are about $1,000 per year)
- How will our social life and work obligations affect our ability to care for a pet?
- What is our plan for our pet during vacation and other travel?
- Who would be responsible for our pet’s care, feeding, exercise, training, grooming, extra housekeeping and visits to the veterinarian?
- How might our other pets be affected by a new pet in the household?
- Does anyone in our home have allergies to pets, pet hair or pet dander?
- What else is going on in our home right now? Is now a good time to add a new family member?
- Does everyone living in our household agree about getting a new pet?