Donor Relations Specialist
We are the largest private animal welfare organization and shelter in NC, with robust services for people and pets in Wake and 30 other counties. At $4 million in annual revenue, we employ 50 people and are located in Raleigh, just 2 miles south of the 440 beltline. The Development staff is a highly motivated and cooperative team operating in a fast-paced, high-intensity work environment to raise $3 million in annual support.
A successful candidate will be able to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and demonstrate a commitment to excellence. You know great customer care is essential to cultivating and maintaining the organization’s relationships. You thrive in fast-paced work environments and excel at customer service. Your excellent interpersonal and communication skills are one of the skillsets that you are most proud of, as well as your polite, friendly demeanor.
About the Job
The Donor Relations Specialist provides proactive, responsive, and effective support to the VP of Development and is responsible for providing high-level customer service and stewardship to our supporters. The Donor Relations Specialist is critical for organizing and maintaining key elements of donor services and key campaigns within the annual fund, including monthly giving, honor memorial, and bequest giving. This position is responsible for responding to donor inquiries in writing, on the phone, and by email, as well as assisting with cultivating mid-level donors.
Essential Functions of the Position
• Providing outstanding care and service to SPCA Wake donors, supporters, and volunteers.
• Provide a high level of donor stewardship and cultivation by thanking mid-level and new donors and ensuring we achieve our goals in fundraising, donor retention and development.
• Ensure donor records of key constituencies are kept up to date and are accurate in our fundraising CRM database
• Day-to-day activities include communicating with donors, gift processing and preparation of thank you letters, database entry and management.
• Weekly and monthly activities include performing funder and donor research, producing reports, preparing and executing large mailings, providing support for agency-wide volunteer opportunities and managing inventory of materials to send to donors and funders.
• Assure confidentiality of donor information and performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
Please Note: This is not an entry level position. Resumes submitted without the required skills and qualifications listed below, will not be considered for this position.
- Required: Three or more years of nonprofit work experience with knowledge and practical understanding of relationship-based fundraising
- Required: Database experience, preferably in Salesforce CRM or Raiser’s Edge CRM donor databases
- Required: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong people and customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Outgoing, relationship-oriented personality with the highest degree of personal integrity
- Capacity to take the initiative, prioritize duties, and work independently while functioning as a member of the development/communications team
- Ability to display exceptional service and represent the SPCA Wake in a professional manner in all situations with the public, volunteers, and staff
Hours per week required by position: 40 hours per week, will be required to work occasional evening/weekend hours for events and meetings.
Language Skills: Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret business correspondence, donor data and financial reports; ability to write reports, correspondence and donor communications; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of donors, volunteers, managers, members of the business community and others.
Reasoning Skills: Must have the ability to solve practical problems; strong ability to organize, plan, track and report; must be able to effectively and efficiently manage multiple projects in a timely manner and make adjustments when necessary.
Physical Demands: The physical requirements of the position include walking, sitting, kneeling, reaching overhead, lifting (25 lbs.), carrying (25 lbs.), speaking, hearing, seeing, and depth perception.
Other: Must be comfortable working with and being in close contact with animals (dogs, cats, small mammals, etc.) Training will be provided. Open office space is shared with cats. Valid NC driver’s license required. Competitive benefits package.
Interested? Please cover letter with salary expectations and resume to Amy Crum at email@example.com.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews; no phone calls please (we’ll have our people call your people).