Foster for the Holidays
Have you considered fostering, but aren’t sure if you’re ready or have the time for a long-term commitment?
We have a great opportunity for you!
The SPCA of Wake County hopes to adopt as many animals as possible so they can have a home for the holidays and we can help pull more animals from other local county shelters. We are looking for short-term fosters over the holiday season to help make this happen and also give these pets a chance to experience a warm and loving home during the holiday season.
When animals first arrive to the SPCA, they start their journey at the Holding Center. When the Adoption Center is at capacity, animals wait for space at the Holding Center. Foster homes allow us to continue to take in animals who may otherwise be euthanized due to time or space in another shelter. You can help us save more lives this holiday!
Things to consider:
1) Length of time: a few days to about two weeks
2) Types of animals: mostly adult dogs and cats, but we do expect to have some puppies/kittens
3) The availability of pets depends on a number of factors such as how many people apply for this program, how many adoptions we have leading up to the holidays and the need of other area shelters for us to help take in their animals
4) Our staff will match pets to foster homes as quickly as possible and as best as possible
5) We may have limited information about a pet’s history (how they are with children, other pets, personality, etc.), but will provide fosters with as many details as possible about the pet
If you are interested, please fill out the online form and click the box at the top to check that you are interested in the Holiday Foster Program. We will take applications through Friday, December 23rd, 2016.
A volunteer will give you a call to talk in more details. Please think about your answers to the following questions so you can be prepared for the call:
- If you already have pets:
- Are they spayed/neutered and up-to-date on vaccines. If not, why not?
- Where do your pets stay when nobody is home?
- Where will their foster pet(s) stay?
- If interested in fostering kittens/cats, will you all the foster(s) outside?
- Do you plan to introduce foster pet(s) to your personal pet? If so, how? Can you keep them separate if needed?
You can find more details about our general foster program here.